The deplorable state of public schools in Nigeria calls for a
declaration of state of emergency especially at the primary and secondary
school levels. Luckily, the Minister of Education, Mr Adamu Adamu has revealed
that the federal government would declare a state of emergency in the education
sector across the country in April 2018.
In the impending declaration, I will like to make the following
- From now henceforth, federal and states governments should
appropriate at least 26% of their annual budgets to fund the education sector.
- Graduates of education should be employed on Grade Level 10 of 8
as contained in the education Minister’s proposal.
- Massive rehabilitation of existing and construction of new
classrooms should be made in all public schools across the country.
- Teachers posted to rural areas should be paid higher to serve as
motivation, as exemplified by Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, the governor of Kaduna
- All teachers in the public schools across the country should be
trained to update their professional knowledge and skills.
- Computers should be made available to all public schools and
computer teachers should be massively recruited to teach computer subjects.
- Textbooks, exercise books and uniforms should be provided at no
cost to all pupils of public primary schools.
“If you educate a child, you educate a nation” - Nelson Mandela.